Thursday, October 25, 2007

An Age Old Excuse Revisited: Generosity

"I'm going to earn lots of money, so I can be generous with it." I've said it, I've heard it, but I can't agree with it as a Christian.

The formula of the argument is:
1) If I have a lot of [X], then I will use [X] for good.
2) I don't have [X].
3) Therefore I should have [X].

But of course, it's not just related to having money: we can replace X with power, time, blessing/gifts, opportunity, beauty, etc. So we keep telling ourselves,
"if only I was given this position of leadership, then I can make a big difference," or
"if only I could go to that place, then I could serve properly," or
"if only I was good at public speaking, then I would be able to persuade people."

I think God has warned us not to have evil or selfish desires to spend on our own pleasures from the letter by James.

A few good questions to ask in order to test ourselves would be:
"Am I generous with what I have now?"
"Am I using what I have now for serving and helping others?"
"How has my pattern of life been like? Generous, thoughtful and considerate?"

If we lack what is good, then God will provide. I am sure He is more than happy, if James was right in his letter, to grant me a generous heart. I'm going to ask for that right now, and I'm going to ask for that gift for anyone reading this blog at all. It'll make me feel better.

No comments: